Here in Australia we have many large and small festivals all year round that can accommodate to whatever genre tickles your fancy. Out of all the festivals I have attended in my time (which to be honest is probably only a total of about five) The Falls Music and Arts Festival has absolutely got to be my favourite. As most of you may also know (from my copious amounts of social media posts and the pre-Falls fest guide) I actually went! Not only did I attend the four days of extreme partying but add an extra four days in Byron Bay for a much needed holiday and in total 6 nights out partying in Byron and this resulted in one very exhausted Beth.
For my two girlfriends and I, our adventure began at 4am on the 27th of December. Driving from the Central Coast up to not so sunny Byron Bay. The first few days were absolutely pouring down with rain in which we purchased sparkely gumboots to prepare ourselves for muddy terrain, only to have the weather clear up within the next two days. We had made the executive decision when buying Falls tickets to stay in town at a backpackers and let me tell you, I do not regret it at all. Yes the whole idea of Falls is to camp and experience the mud and nature etc etc but you know what else is great, a clean bed and shelter when it rains. Staying in a backpackers allowed us to not only be able to efficiently glam ourselves up with glitter, face paint and bindi’s, but also meet a lot of interesting people who we continued to run into throughout our trip in Byron and at Falls!
Now, I like to call myself a very musically educated person, and I am proud of the knowledge I thought I had, before the set times for falls was released….
I just want to sincerely thank the organisers of this festival for putting few acts of the first two days who I knew, this gave me more time in Byron before and after the festival, however, it also made the last two days of the festival extremely busy, and we did have to sacrifice seeing some performances that crossed over with others, so I also retract my thank you and turn it into a “please re-think your life decisions”.
The following is a list of facts/things I learnt from attending Falls Festival 2014/2015:
– Megan Washington is a fabulous performer and has an amazing voice, especially live.
– You will guaranteed lose at lease a kilo of weight at Byron Bay falls from the monstrous hill in-between the stages
– Dan Sultan is definitely an artist to look into
– If you ever get lost at falls, or just decided to attend by yourself, it is the easiest place to make friends.
– Taking Walkie Talkies was the best decision ever. If you decide not to, make meeting spots and times, reception sucks so bad out there.
– Ladies, (or men) don’t bother wearing cake loads of makeup, it will all get ruined, and barely any girls wear it anyway. You aren’t there to pick up, just to paaarrttaaaayyy.
– Tkay Maidza is going to be huge one day. That tiny little babe tore up the stage on day three and is fantastic at having conversations with the audience. Which we <3
– Guys wearing metallic tattoos originally designed for chicks is the new trend of 2015 and it is so good.
– George Ezra, The Presets, Vance Joy and Milky Chance are all great performers, and do not shy away from interacting with the audience. Highly recommended.
– Pretty much everyone on day three and four rocked the house down with awesome tunes all day long.
Now, the moment you have all probably, maybe been waiting for. The Temper Trap (praise the lord for this glorious band) are finally releasing a new album this year! and they did play a few new tracks for us and let me tell you they are extremely enjoyable to listen to. So watch out for more news on that!
On the final night of Falls Festival, Alt-J concluded the four day survival test with their all time classic “Breezeblocks” and then was the sad, slow walk, leaving the venue, returning back to Byron Bay for a well needed rest.
Do I have any regrets? No
Should Falls Festival have an official Hawaiian shirt day? Yes.
Would I recommend going this year? HELL YES.
Happy New Year Everyone!